Sunday, March 22, 2015

Entry 012 - Preset Map and new Cubes

After I've been making SPLIT public using the UE4 Forums and IndieDB, I decided to take a small break. That's why there haven't been any updates for quite some time but that doesn't meen I did nothing at all.

Preset Map

First thing I did is, I started creating a preset map. It includes everything such as an entrance and exit, the dying animation (logo movement), the CheckPoint system and most important: ordered assets within folders (right side of the picture).  This allows for a better workflow where everything can be found easily making the level design process much easier. Oh and I finally managed to enhance the respawn points: until now the direction the player was looking towards when he fell was the same direction he looked at upon spawning since the teleport function (Blueprint) did not affect the rotation. To get rid of that I used a so called "Set Control Rotation" with the "Get Player Controller" and an "Get Actor Rotation" after the inital spawn action and... it finally works (LINK).

Spike Cube and deadly Surface

Second, I created two new types of cubes. The first one is a new, deadly surface being inspired by my Bachelor Thesis Project "Dimensions". It's the black surface with white, glowing edges in the screenshot above. The other new cube is a Spike Cube: it's deadly as well but floating and moving around within a certain area. Using a heightmap and tessellation to achieve a dangerous spikey effect it is clear, that this one should be avoided at all cost.

Greetings,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment