Friday, February 20, 2015

Entry 007 - Design, Design and again... Design

Sometimes it just seems like you're not happy with some of your work anymore. May it be simple mechanics that aren't fun enough or a style that just doesn't feel right. You start questioning yourself and that is what has happened to me for the last few days.

The style of SPLIT just didn't feel right. It's looking cool for quite some time, but after a while it becomes (how to put it) "meh". In addition, some gameplay mechanics didn't fit and it limited the overall possibilities. Hence I did a little pause looking for other methods, to enhance the interior of the inner spheres.

Screenshot from old Bachelor of Arts Presentation

I remembered my old Bachelor Thesis project that worked very well with cubes only. It seperated itself from other games due to its use of contrast and cube design, making it feel unique. Another benefit has been the simplicity: without a big budget you could create amazing puzzles and it just worked.

Cubical Style better suited for VR?

Therefore I created a small test map to see, if cubes would work in the game. It's but a mere perception of how it could look like. Why the Oculus Rift shot? Using simpler materials and models you can save a lot of performance which is a huge plus. Of course the materials used in the screen only consist of a base white, though with a little effort I could create a new style that achieves what my bachelor project once did...

All in all I am still experimenting by mixing a new, cubical style with the hexagons from the previous versions. If it's gonna work? Who knows, I'll just keep testing.

Greetings,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment